Application Process

How do I apply for the graduate program in Biochemistry?

You can apply online by going to the Apply Texas website.  The Biochemistry major code is 613500.

Do I need to send duplicate paper copies of my application or any application materials?

No, all application materials should be submitted online or sent directly to the Graduate School by the testing agency.

How much is the application fee?

The application processing fee for U.S. applicants is $65.00 and International applicants who have not previously been enrolled at the University must pay a nonrefundable processing fee of $90.00.

How do I pay the application fee?

You may pay the application fee by Visa or MasterCard when you fill out your online application. Students who are U.S. citizens are eligible for an application fee waiver.

What should be included in my personal statement of purpose?

There are no official guidelines for the statement of purpose. We recommend that you use the statement as an opportunity to tell us about yourself including your science-specific research experiences, why you are choosing to enter into this field and/or what you hope to accomplish in the field of science.

How do I submit my letters of reference?

Simply complete the "References" portion of the online application for admission by giving the names and email addresses of those you have asked to recommend you. Be sure that the email address is current and accurate.

You will be asked to inform us if you are going to waive the right to view your letters after they are submitted. Please indicate this by answering the associated question on the application for admission.

We will send an e-mail message to the address you provide and ask your recommender to visit a web site where they can complete a questionnaire. Your recommender will be informed if you have not waived your right to view his/her letter of recommendation. From the status check website, you can monitor pending recommendations, resend a Request for Reference, add a new recommender, and revise your FERPA (right to view) status. If you have any questions, please email the Admissions & Recruitment Coordinator.

Where should I send my transcripts?

Please request that your application materials are sent to the Graduate and International Admissions Center. Please do not send paper copies or photocopies of scores.

{sliderWhat is the UT Austin code for GRE and/or TOEFL scores?}

The Institution code for the University of Texas at Austin for GRE and TOEFL score reports is 6882. No department code is necessary.

Which GRE do I need to take?

General. The Biochemistry program does not require GRE subject tests.

Is there a cut-off score on the GRE test?

No, there is no cut-off score.  The Admissions Committee considers every part of a student’s application:  their statement of purpose, recommendation letters, GPA, GRE score, and research experience.  The average GRE score of applicants accepted into the program is 321.

I took the GRE test some time ago.  How long are my GRE scores good for?

The GRE score is good for 5 years.  After 5 years, you must retake the test.  (For the international students who must take the TOEFL test, this score is good for 2 years.)

Do I need to take the GRE Biology Subject Test in order to apply for admission?

No, for the Biochemistry Graduate Program, only the general GRE test will be considered.

Where can I check that my application materials have been received by the GIAC?

Applicants may check their MyStatus page to check on their application status and documents received.

Can I apply for a Master’s degree in Biochemistry?

No, we only admit students seeking a PhD.

Will I receive financial support while pursuing my Ph.D.?

For the first year, the program will provide full support including a stipend, tuition, fees and insurance. After the first year of study, the student's tuition, stipend etc becomes the responsibility of the lab that they join.  It is anticipated that all Graduate Students will be suppported as a Graduate Research Assistant, Teaching Assistant or Fellowship recipient.